Thursday, October 28, 2021

From Bird Feed to Blooming Flower

 All summer long I filled the bird feeder with all sorts of mixes that included sunflower seeds.
Between the blue jays and the squirrels, the first thing to be eaten were the sunflower seeds. 
In early October I saw a little, but tall plant growing close to the feeder pole. 



At first I thought it was some sort of weed. Since it looked pretty cool, I let it grow, obviously it was another opportunity to photograph a plant using my macro lens.

With time it grew taller and it started blooming.










And of course when all the seeds developed, the bees came around again.








It is now the end of October, and most of the blooms are full grown.





There is one last bloom developing into a full fledge flower, before the cold sets in.






According to a site I researched, if I leave the heads on the plants throughout the winter, there is a possibility they might come back next Spring.


Something to look forward to.😉



3 comments:

  1. Great story. Very photogenic plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gethin. This whole thing is giving me a headache but I am stubborn, I shall prevail 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series - do leave the heads on and don't cut them down. Next year you may have Gold Finches visiting you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers