Saturday, October 30, 2021

Week 44- Shot With A Phone

     I am definitely not a cellphone photographer. As a matter of fact I believe my cellphone is very temperamental. Sometimes it takes really nice photos and other times.....thankfully the trash can is right there.
 For this week's 52 frame challenge the requirement was to shoot with a phone. Shoot I did, to make it tad more interesting for myself I decided to shoot RAW and play with the settings, rather than having the phone use its automatic settings. 
 
    The first photo I captured was that of a sliced pear. The settings were: 1/20 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 400.


    I then decided to experiment.

     My cellphone, when using the "pro" setting (which gives one the ability to set everything manually) takes two photos simultaneously. One photo is left raw while the second one is converted to jpeg, all along applying the edits it feels is needed before saving the photo in jpeg. 

    Below I have both the raw version (straight out of the cellphone camera without any edits) and the jpeg version the cellphone camera created.

 
    The above is the cellphone enhanced jpeg version 1/20 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO        400.

    This is identical to the above except in raw form without edits, rather flat.

    Obviously, there is a big difference in exposure and color.

 

    Above is the raw version with settings of:1/60 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 400


     Cellphone version in jpeg.

    As you can see there is a lot of enhancement done within the cellphone camera when the photo is converted into jpeg. 

    On the rest of the photos, I decided to continue shooting in raw and then doing my own edits, using Photoshop. 


     Settings: 1/60 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm ISO 400


       1/50 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 400

 

1/30 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 125

 

1/60 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 250

 

1/25 sec. f/1.5 4.3mm, ISO 480

 

    I did take a few photos using my regular camera just to see the difference between the cellphone and the DSLR. 

        15 sec. f/5.6 50mm, ISO 100 Z7

    10 sec. f/11 50mm, ISO 160, Z7.

    With the two above, I for obvious reasons could not use the same settings as the cellphone. Therefor I chose to do some light painting, hence the slower shutter speed.

    And so another week of challenges is behind me.

8 comments:

  1. The DSLR shots, with your edits are much more crisp and vibrant, as you would expect, but the phone does a reasonable job in what the phone would consider as "imperfect lighting" i.e. not out in bright daylight.
    Very creative compositions, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David for your comments. I don't know maybe sometime in the future I will get used to shooting with the cellphone as "real" shooting. For now the DSLR is "THE" camera. Maybe I am just old fashioned 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny your RAW shot is overall lighter than the jpeg. My RAW shots are usually quite a bit darker than the jpeg. Interesting experiments. That is the great thing with digital, it allows endless experimentation and you can just hit delete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the set, good to see the comparisons and I have to google Pyrat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding, as usual. I'm jealous - my phone doesn't support RAW apps, being a cheap Sammie. It also doesn't do so well with artificial light of any kind, as I'm finding out. But, I didn't buy it for the camera, just need to talk and text. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is actually what makes it fun. Can you imagine trying these experiments with film? 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments. Don't ask me if the Pyrat is any good, because I have no clue. I just liked the box it came in 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I totally understand your position as far what the cellphone is for. But you know now a days no equipment is good enough until it can chop, dice and clean the kitchen all in one sitting 😁

    ReplyDelete

Followers