Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Les Aventures de Tintin or The Adventures of Tintin

 When we were really young, my cousin was an avid reader/collector of the Franco/Belgian comics, titled  Les Adventures de Tintin. There were a total of 24 Tintin books created by the Belgian cartoonists, George Remi who wrote under the pen name Herge.

While I can not remember if my cousin had all 24 books,  I do remember he had quite a few in his collection. They were all large, 9 by 11 inch, hardcover books with colored graphics decorating each and every page. I remember them being pristine. I was allowed to look at them (my French was non-existent at the time) but always with his watchful eyes close by. 

The hero of the series was named Tintin, who was a young Belgian reporter as well as an adventurist. Tintin's companion was a white dog named Milou. Other characters within the storyline were Captain Haddock, Tintin's best friend who was a merchant marine captain; Dupont and Dupont, incompetent detective twins  (when the books were eventually translated, their names were changed to Thompson and Thompson) and  Professor Calculus, a half deaf, absent minded, physicist, also a friend of Tintin.

Moving forward fifty plus some years later during one of my Chicago trips,  I came across a miniature replica figurines of the characters from the graphic novel. Naturally, the wallet came out and a purchase was made. The characters were added to my collection of photography props, for a day that I might have an inspiration.

Well, the day came this week and Tintin and his friends went on an adventure to the grocery store.


 
Ok the last two photos have nothing to do with Tintin, but I rather liked how they turned out, so instinctively I included them here.


If you have never read or seen the Tintin books, you really are in for a treat. Some of those books which my cousin owned at the time, have become collectors items and have a hefty price attached to them. I doubt he has any of them around.

A little side note.....as a teacher I used to encourage my reluctant readers to pick up a "graphic novel" to read, because in contrast to regular novels it had lots of pictures, which most kids enjoyed, as well as a plot . What I find interesting is that graphic novels did not become popular until late 1970's and were not found in classrooms until late, late in my teaching career.  But yet.....Tintin's Adventures have been around since 1929.

3 comments:

  1. Marvelous! We did D.E.A.R.(Drop Everything and Read) when I taught Middle School and virtually nothing was off limits in order to get students to read - and it worked! I had some of the graphic Batman comics for the, what would now be labelled "spectrum kids", to read and they loved them. You meet students where they are and take them as you find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe every school in the country adapted the D.E.A.R. time. Some calling it different names but in general it was based on the same idea of getting students to read. The one I would lead my students to read was called Yummy by G. Nerri, followed by Monster by Dean Myers and Kings in Disguise by Vnace. Most of my boys could relate to the plot of the first two book and the third one I'd use as an intro to teaching Of Mice and Men, which was a required read in our district. Dang John, your comment brought back some memories. Thanks for the input :)

      Delete
  2. Love the second one particularly. The dog was always Snowy to us.

    ReplyDelete

Followers