Friday, May 13, 2022

Me, Obsessed? Nah!

 Our new neighbor's kids arrived and I have been obsessed with them to no end. So much so that hubby put a ladder close by so I could step up and capture (few) photos. 

I must admit that I do not do well with heights. Therefore, climbing up a few rungs with a camera in hand is not probably the smartest thing for me to do. After all, I've been known to fall off  a"high" place and end up with 49 stitches on my sheen. That story has become one of my hubby's favorite stories to tell and retell.

Moving on.....I did climb the ladder a few times, camera in hand.  Wind blowing here and there and me trying to hold steady. I realized that every click, had tremendous motion blur, henceforth capturing in this manner was not going to be fit for anything but the bin.

I quit the ladder escapade.

Feet sturdy on the ground and a nice 500mm zoom lens was the best way to capture the "Robin Family's" daily activities.

Several times a day, I've clicked away.














All along, the clicking was done through a glass window because I did not want to disturb Mrs. Robin and the kids, as well as the fact that the weather was not very cooperative....(too cold for open windows).

Then something happened.......

Mother nature decided that Spring was way overdue so she flipped the switch and  Hallelujah!!

We had Spring weather!!!

Open the windows!!

Let the fresh air come into the house!!

Have a clearer view of the neighbors and click away!








But then on Monday, with the windows still open, the wind picked up and when I say picked up, I mean PICKED UP!!

My camera and the heavy duty 500mm lens that were sitting close by the window, waiting to be picked up at a moments notice.....

.......went CLUNK on to the floor. 😯

Not a good outcome (camera is now at the camera hospital).

But not wanting to miss out on watching these babies grow and fly away, I started shooting more photos with my other camera and a 300mm lens.

You would think that a 300mm lens would not be a match to a 500mm, but there is a plus to having a this mirroless camera. 

Switch the camera from a full frame to crop and 300mm lens can then have a longer focal length. Not the most ideal captures but when time is of essence and your "body" is at the hospital, you got to do what you got to do.






Yesterday, mom and kids had this "wide open beak" contest (with no sound). Could not decide if mom was teaching the kids something or.....

I must add, I have not seen dad for a while. 

A few years ago when I did my research on robins, I found out that they mate for life and dad normally hangs around until the kids fly away. 

But I have not seen dad the last few days.......are they calling him?














 

Not the end of the story, time will tell what happens next......

 



4 comments:

  1. Hours of entertainment. I love the one that is just beak poking out of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for them to come out more and try their wings. I just wish mom had thrown the shells out (sometimes they do). Robin shells are blue, would have loved to add to my "treasures".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice captures. It's great you can get to the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lucky being able to watch their routine :)

      Delete

Followers