Monday, November 22, 2021

Saffron Bundt Cake With Ganache

I use saffron on rice and more specifically when making a Persian rice dish called Tahjin, but when I came across this recipe on the internet for a Bundt cake, I had to try.

 I am not a fan of coconut milk therefor, replaced it with regular milk. I did steep the saffron in dark rum for about a whole week, which I believe made the cake.

 If you like saffron and you don't think it tastes like medicine, then this recipe is for you.
 
I should mention that I made this recipe with real authentic saffron, produced in Iran, sent to me by a very dear old friend.

 Complete (original) recipe at the bottom of this post.


Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the butter mixture and stir until combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth.

 Pour batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in its pan for 15 minutes before inverting it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Dust cooled cake with powdered sugar.

Drizzle with ganache.

Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS

·        0,5 g (approximately 1/4 tsp) saffron 
·        1 tsp. granulated sugar
·        1 tbsp. dark rum
·        200 g (1 3/4 sticks) butter
·        150 mL (2/3 cup) coconut milk
·        240 g (1 2/3 cups) all purpose flour
·        2 tsp. baking powder 
·        1/4 tsp. salt 
·        2 large eggs
·        270 g (1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar

GANACHE

·        50 g (1.8 oz) white chocolate, finely chopped
·        60 mL (1/4 cup) coconut milk
·        pinch of salt
·        1/4 tsp. vanilla powder
·        Powdered sugar, for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS

BUNDT CAKE

  1. Grind the saffron with 1 tsp. sugar and put in a small jar. Add dark rum and cover with a lid or plastic wrap and leave it in room temperature for at least one hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Grease and flour a 4 1/2 – 5 cup bundt pan (recipe makes approximately 4 cups of batter).
  3. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the coconut milk and saffron mixture and set aside.
  4. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  5. Beat together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the butter mixture and stir until combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth.
  6. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in its pan for 15 minutes before inverting it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

GANACHE

  1. Put the finely chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan until hot, but not boiling. Pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds.
  2. Stir with a small spoon until chocolate is melted and ganache is smooth. Add the salt and vanilla. Leave to cool until slightly thickened (it won’t thicken a lot though). Dust cake with powdered sugar and drizzle with ganache.



6 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Bundt cake until I saw Erin Brokovich upon which time I had to Google it.

    Donna Jensen : [after a meeting] Oh, I made some bundt cake. Let me get some coffee, too.

    Ed Masry : [Gets up to leave] Sorry, we have to be getting back...

    Erin Brockovich : [under her breath in Ed's ear] Have a fuckin' cup of coffee, Ed.

    Ed Masry : [to Donna] Coffee would be great, thanks.

    Pete Jensen : [after Ed sits back down next to him] My wife makes great bundt cake.

    Ed Masry : I love bundt cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣🤣 I believe that booster is leaving it's marks on your brain.🤣🤣

      Delete
  2. Sorry I got carried away with the name Bundt cake and forgot to say your photos are highly professional and worthy of a food magazine. Extremely good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What he said. I love saffron rice - I steep my threads in my homemade chicken stock that I use instead of water. I, too, love the crusty bottom of rice, but no one else I know does - losers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually sound pretty good....risotto came to mind. Indeed losers, that crunch is fabulous. It's even better when you place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes....then you have crisp, crusty, potato crust 😋

      Delete

Followers